Experienced Boston Maritime Attorneys
Helping the Injured at Sea and on Land for Over 50 Years
“The sea – this truth must be confessed – has no generosity.” – Joseph Conrad, the Mirror and the Sea
Anyone who has lived, played or worked on the water can understand the weight of Conrad’s words: the sea is cruel. Every year, fishermen, merchant seamen, ship workers, recreational boaters, passengers and even victims of maritime piracy learn firsthand how unforgiving the sea can be. Many are injured, killed or lost at sea, leaving their families to sort through the grief and try to pick up the pieces with the added burden of a reduced income, a pile of medical bills and the task of caring for the injured victim and the family. It is not always the sea that is to blame, however. If another person’s or corporation’s negligent, reckless or intentional acts or the unseaworthy condition of the vessel caused the accident, you and your family may be entitled to compensation.
Boston maritime attorneys Carolyn Latti and David Anderson are carrying on the legacy of helping those injured at sea that Carolyn’s father, Michael Latti, started over 50 years ago. Driven by a desire to help injury victims and their families and hold negligent parties responsible, they are fighting for those injured at sea and on land with dedication and resolve. We have obtained multiple million-dollar verdicts and settlements for our clients with our aggressive, competitive trial skills. We fight harder than the opponent, and we will fight hard for you.
How We Can Help
Serious on-the-job injuries take a toll on both the victim and his or her family. At the very least, injured workers lose income; worse still, injured workers suffer long-lasting pain, emotional problems and disabilities, and their families must learn to cope with all the new problems and challenges that face them; at the very worst, death can result. When a person dies at sea, the spouse, parents and children are left with a reduced or nonexistent income in addition to the grief of losing a loved one.
Injuries at sea have an added dimension that further complicates the situation, as the laws that provide victims compensation for offshore accidents and injuries are complex and often difficult to understand.
This is why having an experienced Boston maritime lawyer as your advocate is so important, especially during such a difficult time. We can:
- Thoroughly investigate the accident using our full-time investigator, including taking witness statements, taking photographs and examining the vessel and accident scene. As soon as your employer and the insurance company received notice of the accident, their investigation began immediately, from taking witness statements and photographs to fixing the accident scene. As the victim, you will need to do your own investigation to protect your interests, and we can provide that for you.
- Help the victim and the victim’s family get through the day-to-day problems of doctors, medical bills, medical appointments, obtaining treatment and equipment an dealing with the pressures of everyday life after the accident. We will listen to the victim and the victim’s family and help our clients cope with new circumstances, including the loss of a loved one.
- Interact with your employer and your insurance company, taking the pressure off of you so you can focus on healing. We will explain to you whether you should give a statement to an insurance adjuster or your employer. We will make sure your medical bills are paid and that your employer is paying you the required maintenance and cure after your injury on the water. If you are hurt while working out at sea, your employer may be required to pay your medical bills plus a daily stipend; we will make sure your employer delivers.
- Help you understand the maritime law that applies to your case so that you remain as fully informed as possible.
- Explain your rights regarding settling your case or going to trial, going back to work and signing releases so you can make the best decisions and protect your rights.
Who We Can Help
Our experienced maritime attorneys can help anyone who has suffered injuries at sea, regardless of whether you were hurt on a tanker, a vessel, a fishing boat or a cruise ship or recreational boat. Even if you have suffered injuries on land, such as in a truck or car accident, we can help you, too. Finding the best legal counsel may mean the difference between a fair judgment that protects your future and a settlement that barely covers your medical expenses.
Why We Are the Right Choice
Our commitment to clients, our experience and our knowledge of the complexities of maritime law are what sets Latti & Anderson LLP apart from other maritime law firms. We temper the aggression needed to persuade a judge and jury that the law is in your favor with the compassion and care you need during a difficult time. We care deeply for our clients, we thoroughly understand the law and we provide intelligent, tough, decisive representation when you need it most.
We represent families from all over the world, fighting for clients injured at all the major ports of the United States and overseas, including Oman and Dubai. Our staff is fluent in Portuguese, and we have an interpreter on call for any clients who do not speak English. We represent clients in Dominican Republic, Honduras and Mexico, to name only a few of the countries in which our clients reside. We have a proven, consistent record of obtaining substantial verdicts and settlements for the injured. Contact us today for a free consultation and find out how we can help you and your family rebuild.