What to Do After a Maritime Injury
The first thing you should do after a serious injury is seek medical attention. Next, you should contact an attorney to help you recover money for the accident. When an injury occurs on the water or involves a maritime activity, you should contact a maritime attorney who has the experience and knowledge to help you.
Following a serious injury on the water, the company that owns the vessel or that employs you will send its investigators and team of lawyers to investigate your injury. They will talk to all available witnesses, take photographs, examine the vessel and try to reconstruct the accident. Their ultimate goal is to show that the accident was not the company’s fault or operator’s fault, and that, if it was anyone’s fault, it was your fault. We know how these companies work, and we can help you deal with them.
Remember: you do not need to talk to an insurance adjuster. You do not need to fill out an accident report immediately. Call us to learn more about more your rights following a serious maritime injury.
Nationwide Attorneys for Injuries at Sea
We have experience fighting against some of the largest corporations in the world in maritime cases. Representing you is not simply handling a legal case; we spend hours talking to our clients over the phone, at all hours of the day, seven days per week, listening to our clients’ problems and helping them through both legal and non-legal issues. We know the non-legal issues can be the hardest to overcome.
Unlike general injury firms, we focus almost exclusively on maritime injuries. A non-maritime attorney will be learning the law instead of protecting your rights. Many rights and defenses that arise under maritime law can limit your recovery – you need a maritime lawyer who knows the law and who knows what defenses the responsible party can bring. You need a maritime lawyer who knows how to properly investigate the accident to prevent the responsible party from bringing those defenses.
Maritime attorneys Carolyn Latti and David Anderson can help injured clients and their families through the difficult litigation after a maritime accident and provide advice about how to cope with the family’s new circumstances. We will:
- Listen to your concerns about treatment, finances and family. Help with medical bill payments and help coordinate the maintenance and cure you receive from your employer – the daily amounts you need to help you live
- Advise you about handling various entities who may be contacting you from the employer’s, vessel owner’s or vessel operator’s insurance company or other attorneys, including:
- Whether you should talk to them
- Whether you should give a statement
- If what you say could be used against you down the road
- Have our own staff investigator start the investigation process
- File the lawsuit, correspond with the other side and handle all aspects of your case from discovery to trial
- Fight to achieve the best verdict or settlement in your favor and make sure the funds are set up to help with your care and your family’s care in the future
- If you have lost a loved one to a maritime accident, we will help the family through the grieving and the legal process for wrongful death
- Make sure someone from our office is available to you every day, even on weekends
Contact our maritime lawyers right away to set up an appointment to talk to us about your accident. We will do everything we can to help you set your life back on track after a tragedy.