Many boat accident victims do not take full advantage of the laws that could provide them compensation for their injuries. This includes using maritime law to recover damages after common boating injuries, such as:
If the victim dies from the injuries, the victim’s spouse, children or parents may even have a cause of action for wrongful death, but only an experienced maritime attorney can give true guidance about seeking maximum personal injury compensation under maritime laws.
Recreational Boating Accidents: Boat Accident Lawyer on How to Build a Case
It is important to determine the relevant laws that apply after boat crashes. Recreational boating accidents can be complicated, including:
- There may be little or no boat injury insurance coverage.
- It may be difficult to prove negligence. Was the person driving the boat negligent? Were they drinking? Was there bad weather?
- Was defective equipment involved? Did an important boat component fail?
- The applicable laws vary depending on where the accident occurred. Did it take place on a lake, on navigable international waters or on state waters closer to shore? Maritime law and/or state law may apply, depending on where the accident occurred.
Matters such as these require the scrutiny of an experienced maritime attorney who can identify the best laws under which to file claims for compensation and can effectively apply those laws to your case.
Examples of Boating Accidents
Our attorneys for maritime injuries have obtained payment for medical bills, pain, suffering and other costs of a recreational boating accident caused by:
- Drunk boating
- Defective equipment
- Giving the boat to someone too drunk or too young to control it
- Operator error or operator inexperience
- Hit and run
- Excessive speed
- Lack of or improper navigational lights
- Producing a wake in a no-wake zone
- Collisions with other vessels
- Collisions with rocks, docks, jetties, piers and sandbars
- Operating in poor and/or rough weather conditions
We can help clients injured in all sorts of ways on the water, including joy riding, tubing, sport fishing/recreational fishing and sightseeing. In these and in all cases, we use our knowledge of maritime law to build a strong case for compensation for medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, physical disfigurement and other costs of a boating accident injury.
Boat Accident Lawyer in Boston Ready to Put More Than 50 Years of Legal Experience to Work After Boat Crashes
If you have suffered an injury while sailing, operating a motor boat or any other recreational watercraft, contact a boat accident lawyer at our leading Boston maritime law firm for counsel about your next steps and free legal advice on how or when to report a boating accident. Call the maritime attorneys at Latti & Anderson LLP to learn how we can help after a boat crash, no matter where in the United States it occurred.