If you were assaulted or sexually assaulted as a passenger on board a cruise ship, you should contact a maritime attorney immediately. The cruise line will do its best to protect itself, and you will need someone with knowledge of the law in this area and experience fighting against large corporations to protect you. Call an attorney if any of the following occurred:
- You were assaulted by a cruise line employee
- You were assaulted by a passenger
- A cruise line employee played any part in the attack
- A cruise line employee or employees saw the attack and failed to properly act
- Unsafe conditions on board the ship were a factor in the assault
- Cruise ship officials failed to properly investigate the incident
- You did not receive proper onboard medical treatment following the assault, including a rape kit if it was sexual in nature
- Evidence was not properly collected or was allowed to be contaminated
- The crime scene was not secured
- Cruise ship officials failed to promptly report the incident to the FBI
- The cruise line or any of its employees attempted to cover up the incident
- The cruise ship did not have locks and bolts on doors
- The cruise ship overserved alcohol
- The cruise line failed to take measures to protect passengers from a known crew member or passenger engaging in improper, violent or aggressive conduct
Other factors may also warrant a lawsuit against the cruise line. An experienced maritime attorney can review the facts of your cruise ship assault case and determine whether you may be entitled to compensation from the cruise line or other parties for your medical expenses and pain and suffering.
In reviewing your case, a qualified maritime attorney will identify which national and/or international maritime laws apply and will determine the extent of the cruise line’s potential liability. Maritime statutes are complex, so it is important to work with an attorney dedicated to this distinct branch of law.
Did your cruise vacation turn into a real-life nightmare when you became the victim of an assault? Contact a Boston maritime attorney today to learn about your legal rights.
Latti & Anderson LLP –Boston maritime trial lawyers